05 January 2008

Winter Fishing

Fishing like this enabled me
to keep my hands in my pockets











Me with a smile of a recent catch




This is a net of skimmer bream and small roach which I caught, on 5th January 2008. These were caught using the quiver tip and a small open ended feeder, and single red maggot tied to a small size 20 hook. The wind was bitterly cold so I decided to fish like this rather than sit there with a pole in my hands.

The bites were very finicky but what I found out was, although you would normally think that with it being so cold the fish would not be willing to take a moving bait. This was not the case as nearly every time I moved the bait by gently lifting, and pulling the swim feeder towards me I almost immediately had a bite.

This is a tactic that is commonly used by match anglers, that can be very effective and does help to induce bites when the fish are reluctant to swim off with your bait. Although the fish were relatively small and I didn't end up with a huge weight it ended up to be a very pleasurable day.

So next time you go fishing don't sit there with your hands in your pockets, "get a move on" I will keep you posted, so until next time bye for now.

No comments: