03 January 2008

Trent & Mersey Canal & Tetton Lake.

I think most of you will agree it has been a miserable year for fishing during 2007, I can't ever remember taking off my winter gear. However I did have a reasonable amount of success during the early part of the season, I believe this was largely due to the fact the fish had spawned and were rather hungry.

I have found this to be quite common on most waters after the fish have spawned, they seem to be somewhat easier to catch, never the less as usual my big catches dwindled as the season progressed.

After winning a number of small local matches on one of my favorite venues which I can't mention, as the angling club which I am a member of, has very stringent rules with regards to any publicity.

However I did have further success in the two open matches I fished, on waters that I had only fished on about two or three occasions some ten years ago. With these waters being in the same proximity, I figured they would hold the same species, as it turned out my theory was
proved right as I won both matches with similar fish which were bream and crucians.


The first of which was the poppy day match which had a full turn out of 50 anglers quite a prestigious match to win in the old day's, although many years ago they used to have some 300 anglers arriving on the banks.

The usual venue was the Trent and Mersey canal but more recently and unfortunately since the lack of interest in the hard fished navigational canals and the ever increasing commercial fisheries cropping up these waters are far less occupied. With the reduced numbers turning up for this event Tetton lake was chosen for the venue in Sandbach.

However I was delighted to have found that I had won this match for the second time, as I had been knocking on the door for a number of years prior to winning it. Further to my delight I found I had won more money, than when I had won all those years ago even with far fewer anglers taking part.

After not having competed in matches for some ten years or so, last year has brought back some very memorable times on the banks, and I intend to do a lot more fishing now my children have left home, hopefully the weather will improve next season.

Just for the record the matches I won last year were won using the pole, the way most anglers fish these days it's a great feeling doing something you love,"the rewards are a bonus".

No comments: